Tuesday 9 March 2010

Feeling at home, at last

This last weekend I had to go into Gifhorn on my own to find a gift for someone. Just having the hour to actually look UP (not at kids and where they're putting their feet), to TAKE IT IN...it was like breathing in fresh air. Not only having a few moments to myself after the concentrated week while Michael was in Singapore, but also....it felt good for the first time to be back in Germany. I actually nearly had a little skip in my step. Was so nice to poke my nose into the tiny little shops with all their different goodies. Love the homely, warm smelling bakeries, the cobbled stone ways, the old fachwerk houses that are leaning in to the streets. I love the sound of German being spoken, the sound of the Aller river in the town centre, bike bells (despite the snow, these guys keep pedalling!). I'm comfortable driving on the RHS again and am in the flow of traffic finally and not being hooted at so often. I love the continental breakfasts. I love the clean town. The people I've met at toddler groups etc are very friendly. The kids are happy. I've just found out about a "new" church here in Gifhorn that I'd like to go to, if possible, to try out.
All is well with my soul!
phew!
Thanks to my hubby for being patient with me. He loves me through thick and thin. I love him too.