Tuesday 19 October 2010

Japan - some second thoughts

The honeymoon stage is over and reality kicked in a while ago already.
To be quite frank, at this stage - and things could change again ....as opinions, feelings, whatever are usually seasonal and come in waves anyway, at least with me! - we're enjoying Tokyo about 80%.
Josephine is happy in her KG and this is a big plus. We also have a very nice home to stay in and are comfortable. I've also made some nice friends and we're involved at church and school. I've now figured out where I can buy the usual groceries I need and am not trying to decifer those basic things anymore.
Our problems here are: language, lack of fresh air and green spaces, traffic congestion.

Language is a bigger issue than I thought. Of course, I knew I couldn't speak Japanese. And I knew it would be rather (!!) tough to learn. I knew that. But I did expect more people to speak English..which they don't. It's surprising how few Japanese people speak English. So far, the only one that I've met who speaks it fluently is our relocation agent whom we had contact with on our pre-assignment visit and in our first week here. Besides that....hmmmm. Conversation is limited. My aim was (and still is, if I can just meet someone) is to make at least one Japanese friend. I don't want to find myself in an expat community and miss the experience of Japan. Anyhow, this apparently seems difficult to avoid. Due to language. In most ways, one is forced to meet with other expats, if you want contact with the world outside your apartment. So, church, Josephine's school - that's where I can actually talk to someone. And us expats, we kind of stick together, help each other, are very open with each other....out of need. Everyone is really going out of their way to help the other as each knows the challenges and hurdles out there! If one of us (and the network is large) hears of a good doctor...boy, that grapevine is fast! Or whatever!
So, while I am very grateful for the really lovely friends I have made (!!) I do feel a bit robbed of the full experience of Japan. Anyway, I'm not down about it, just ...it would be interesting to get to know a Japanese too who can tell me of their cultures, or I could see how they do daily things or whatever. Can you believe it, but sometimes I take a stroll in the early evening when it's already getting dark and try to peep into the people's houses if their lights are on and curtains drawn! Just from the street, of course!! So far, I can't report on anything interesting apart from the fact that their homes are incredibly small and tight. Most of them, let's say. Not all, but most. But they really economise so well with their space.

Green spaces are few and far between. I actually NOTICE when I see grass. There's not a ton of it, so it's really great to see it. There are some lovely green spaces around, but of course, only the rich/famous have gardens and so it's about a 1km walk to go to a park here with the kids, walking past stinky cars, buses, trucks. Sometimes I find myself almost trying to breath deeper just to grab some more fresh air. I long for the salty beach air I had in PE. Where have those days gone. Come back!!!

Traffic and parking is always a consideration. If I need to go to the doctor (which is about 15km away), I need 90 minutes to get from door to door. I may get there a little early, true. But I may not. And parking is mega expensive.

Everyone here seems to have house help. They think the prices are ok. I still haven't gotten used to them yet completely. At the moment, Evie is sleeping during the morning and I try to get it done myself.

Bottom line (4 months post arrival opinion....and don't forget: I'm a woman and it's my right to change my mind again. And again!). But for now...I would say: it's a good experience. We do feel like we're in the right place for now. And it's interesting to see (from the outside) how the Japanese live. And to have a taste of Asia in general. But I honestly couldn't see myself living here forever. I think (at this stage) that I'd be happy to move on in 3 years time again.