Saturday 24 July 2010

Tatoo

I grew up in South Africa where tatoos were basically frowned upon. Even when I first met Michael, who has a small tat on his arm, I was a bit weary. But I soon grew to like it. Then my brother got one with Chinese writing and the meaning "friends". And once I moved to Europe, I realised it's quite fashionable there in fact! Every second person has one basically. I have to say, I did consider getting one myself....but only briefly. "Nah!" I thought, "Me and pain? We don't go together too well. And anyway, if you look at older ladies who picked a rose tatoo in their youth....it now only looks withered and droopy on their skin - as though it didn't get watered enough. No thanks."

Well, besides these considerations, little does one think about how other countries in fact perceice tats. Japan for one, doesn't like them one bit.

....this last week, Michael went to a gym to have a trial workout. His tat was visible. Big mistake. They came hush hush to him to ask if he please cover it up. Whisper whisper, embarrassed looks. Michael feeling bad too of course. Then as he came to discuss a contract with them at the end of the training session he was shocked/embarrassed/really taken by surprise when they said that they couldn't accept an application from him because of his tatoo. Yes! That's what they said. My poor hubby was sent home! And there's no going back there we don't think. Yikes! So now, if we want to find a gym/go for a swim, he will have to keep it secret and cover it up well. Fortunately, it's small.

Since being online, we've read that people with tatoos in Japan are seen to be criminals or linked to the mafia. Shocking! One feels a little weary on the street now....  a little self conscious. Hope the news hasn't spread from that gym!?!? ;-)

Anyway, we've leart a lesson, the hard way let's say. Better there than on the beach with thousands of little Japanese people evacuating with wings to escape my dangerous husband.

I've also read that tatooing was banned in Japan in the early 1900's to "impress the West" and create a positive image. In the 1930's it was made legal again, but the reputation of gangster remains, and we have experienced it first hand. All a little ironic.